Professor Snape and Sweetend Condensed Milk

At 8 pm this evening we realized that we needed sweetened condensed milk for a particular recipe. All we had was evaporated milk so I attempted to procure some from the local Korean market. I struck out there but luckily I found a recipe to make our own at home. Requirements were sugar and evaporated milk. Check and check.

As I sat at the stove stirring the mixture for what felt like forever my mind started to wander to Harry Potter where Professor Snape said (from the first book for all of you who have either not read Harry Potter or read them more than once, either way shame on you), "I don’t expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses..."



It was at that moment that even though I was stirring I had let my mind drift like Neville Longbottom and as I looked down I found my cauldron boiling over. (Panic, then quick movement, a bit of smoke, but recovery). Not sure if I lost 10 points from Gryffindor for my mistake, or gained 10 points for my quick recovery - pretty sure it was the former. 


While making sweetened condensed milk was not as complicated as making Sleeping Draught, it did require more concentration (no pun intended) than I normally possess.


Just shy of our original goal of 12 oz. thanks to my neglect and overflow, it turned out ok. And thanks to Professor Snape for helping me realize that perhaps potions class is not my strength.


Comments

Diane said…
I'm intrigued. Now I want to make some.and you can bet that I will be thinking of Snape and stirring potions every time I need to stir anything for more than a few minutes.😁
Diane said…
Plus.....I love how resourceful you are.😊
Tia Pete said…
This makes me feel better about myself. Thanks for sharing!