South Korea. It's like Korea...but South




After I had finally accepted the fact that my family and I were moving to Korea, a facetious post started swirling around in my head. It was going to be a Top Reasons Everyone Should Live in Korea-type post. It was going to include some content like the following:


1. There are tons of bright signs for easy reading so my kids and I will never be lost.



2. The potato bar is amazing! And you don't have to worry about washing dishes. Or feeling jealous about what your neighbor ordered.


3. If potatoes aren't your thing (don't tell me cuz I'm an Idaho girl) then you can freely participate in the consumption of a live animal that 8/7 of the rest of the world doesn't understand.
*Yes, that fraction is both scientific fact and written correctly because some of us don't understand it so much it counts for double.


4. The public swimming pools are so well-loved that your kids don't need to know how to swim; they just float on the backs of others as if they were at a rock concert.


5. In the words of so many, "The shopping's Amazing!" so for a cheap price, we can all look like KPOP stars. This is right up my alley.

6. While the houses don't generally have enough room to accommodate more than 4 people, they have at least one closet like this at the entrance of each home to promote the purchase of a million pairs of shoes. Priorities people.



Like most post ideas or intentions, this one was never created. Then my family began the long trek to move to Korea. The actual journey included a drive from Orem to LA for Fred and Charlotte and a flight from Orem to LA for Zachary, Hazel, and me. On Wednesday when we were supposed to fly out, United had problems with their computers, and the flights for all of LAX were delayed. Our delay was on the tarmac. So what was supposed to be a 12-hour flight turned into a 13-hour flight. All things considered, our kids did great. But it was a LONG time to be on the plane. We boarded the flight at noon on Wednesday local time and landed just after 6 pm on Thursday local time. We had nine pieces of luggage plus our carry-on, car seat, and 3 kids. We were a sight. (Pictures may come later if I get around to it.)

All this to say that by the time we made it through customs with everything and met up with our sponsor who would then take us on an hour-long bus ride to the city in which we now live, I normally would have been cranky, snippy, overwhelmed and unpleasant. But for some reason, as I stood with all the luggage, holding our sleeping baby and waiting for the purchase of our bus tickets I looked around at the Korean people walking all around me and I was excited to be here. I felt instant love for this country and felt like I will be sad in 2 years when it is time to leave. 

I decided I needed to record this today because I've now spent almost a week in a hotel room with 2 very small rooms and 3 needy kids and have been told it may be 3 more weeks before we can get into the house we found and liked. The elevator doesn't work; I have a child who doesn't like to walk, one that can't, and a third that only likes to walk when it is inconvenient for me; I also have a double stroller that barely fits on the sidewalks here so we haven't gotten out much. The enchantment of my first night here is wearing off so I want to remember that I know I'm going to love it here and right now is just a moment that will pass. 

Comments

Hollie said…
What an exciting adventure! Be sure to blog lots and document this amazing time in your life so I can live vicariously through you :)
Hannah Schott said…
Thank you for posting! Now I'm homesick for you, and missing you. I hope you meet some church members who can be your family away from home.
Hannah Schott said…
Ok, check your hotmail Jari :-) :-)
Hannah Schott said…
Better yet, check your gmail, Jari. How do I live without text messages? I hope the jet lag is getting better by now. love you!
Diane said…
That was a fun post. And, as if it was possible, I love your kids even more! :) I know you will have amazing adventures (adventure is out there)and it will be hard to move on to new ones. I look forward to more posts to come. :)
Diana said…
Hahaha I was totally giggling out loud at your top reasons to live in Korea. How fantastic. I am excited for you too. I can't even imagine what that trek was like, but I am so grateful you are there and things are moving along. Can't wait to hear more. Love you!
Michelle said…
It is exciting that you have found a house that you like! Three weeks can seem like an eternity in your current situation, but it will be worth it. Hang in there! I am so glad you had a decent trip over there. I thought you were leaving on Thursday for some reason. I texted you that morning but I'm sure you never got the text! Daily I wonder how you are doing, so I was thrilled to see the blog. Yay! :)