Up On The Housetop

Several weeks ago Jari showed me some pictures of a chimney someone made out of cardboard for Christmas. It looked too fun not to try to replicate. As we had just moved we had plenty of cardboard so the construction began.


A friend of mine recollected his father building him cardboard forts with each military move. As the years went on, the forts became bigger and better.


The reason for this must have been the fact that building with cardboard is actually harder than it seems. Progressive talent is required if you ask me.


This became apparent as I constructed the mantlepiece. It was really hard to fold and get it right. I think in part it was due to not having a nice razor blade but that is just my first excuse. My second is more realistic, I am just not any good at making cardboard furniture of any kind though I know how a skill to acquire with each move...


Keeping the mantle up when it had folds along the top was tricky for me. I eventually created 2 parallel C-pieces that ran the length to provide support.


Jari was kind enough to find paint for our fireplace/chimney. She did the red and black; I the grey mortar to make the bricks. Look close enough and this will be evident as my art skills  (and apparently spacing) rivals that of a 5-year-old artist.


The mantle is only crooked because you are looking at it with your head straight. Tilt your head a little to the right. Better right? 


A few penny nails for hooks, safety pins on the stockings, some strings of lights Jari picked up yesterday, and I was done!


Yeah for arts and crafts.


Now Santa will have a way to get in our house this year instead of me having to wake up at 12 and let him in. At least that is what I told the girls. Either way, it added a little Christmas spirit to our home.


And yes Jari's felt tree is still sporting a place in our home. It will forever be known as our Korean Christmas Tree. 

**UPDATE**


Jari went to a shop in Seoul with a friend (Heidi Ricks) where they sell Christmas decorations and picked up some stuff for a lovely addition to our home.


Well done Jari.

Comments

Karla Nielson said…
Love it! Incredibly good job. You two! Proud of your talents and efforts to bring Christmas magic to your children!
Diana said…
This is the greatest thing ever! I love it!
Diane said…
That's FANTASTIC!!! Love it!
PapaLarry said…
A most excellent and festive result I must say. You are so clever and resourceful. These are the kinds of things that the kids will remember with fondness (if not a lot of teasing and jokes) when you have family gatherings years from now. ;-)