A New Home Needs a New Floor

Not that I had anything against our old and nasty kitchen floor, but the thought of a new - tiled floor was something too nice to pass up. Our neighbors from Kenya had their kitchen cabinets, countertop, and floor changed out and it cost them just over $6,000. I was a little discouraged by that, but then who said I had to pay someone else to do it? So after a 40-minute crash course on installing tile from the Home Depot, several phone calls to friends who have done it before, and a few more trips to the Home Depot for advice and materials, I found myself with 6 boxes of tile, 8 sheets of 5x3 HariBacker, 3 bags of mortar, a bag of 3/16 inch spacers, a wet tile saw, a drill, a jigsaw, and a few other items. It took us 2 days to get everything up (two layers of vinyl and one layer of masonite). But I finally started the project. It has been said that ignorance is bliss. Well, it is true. Take note of the smile on my face. That was before I had a real good idea of what I was getting myself into... Oh - and the thing to the right of the oven - chances are you don't know what that is if you missed the 80's. It is a trash compactor that has not worked in about 15 years. It has done a really good job at holding the vast amounts of plastic bags we and the previous owner of our condo had brought home from the grocery store. But still, it was time to say goodbye to our dear trash compactor. For more pictures check out our Picasa Web Picture Album:

Comments

Sarra said…
Way cool! The floor looks really nice (in the pictures, anyway) and way to go Fred for getting it done on time!
Sarra said…
and ps - even though i mostly missed the 80's i still recognized the trash compactor - the house boat we use in the summer for our lake powell trip has one. :)