“We are always getting ready to live, but never living.”

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

(MaryAnn and Mickie, my two very Irish co-workers, and two of the most life-living people I've ever met. )

My mom always said that I never really learned to walk. As soon as I learned to stand I began to run. I was always in a rush for everything. That's probably partially due to the fact that I was born on the heels of a very intelligent, confident, and active older sister. When she learned to read at 3 years old I wanted to learn also even though I was only 2. When she started school I thought I should be allowed to go, too. When my older brother participated in the 'fifth-grade program' at school, I decided I couldn't wait to be in fifth grade so I could be in the program also. When my oldest sister went to the prom and my mom made her a beautiful dress, I thought the day when I could go to prom wouldn't come fast enough. I started the count down to my mission when I was in seventh grade. Then of course there was the count down to graduation. I was always looking forward to summer vacations and then counting down the days till school started again. When I got engaged I counted down days to the wedding; and now, being the wife of a soon-to-be second-year medical student, I'm counting down the days till residency. I'm sure when the time comes I'll count down to the end of that too. In short, I've been running through life, always waiting for the next thing.

I recently talked to a very dear friend of mine. In the course of our conversation, she helped me to ponder something that my mom has been trying to teach me for years. Why don't I live in the now? Quit waiting for the future and just live. I thought about it and came up with a very small list (in honor of you, Mom) of things to help me live now.
  1. Make my house into my home wherever we live. (Something I've been struggling with much to Fred's consternation since I figure we'll be leaving in 3 years anyway.)
  2. Learn one new thing each day and share it with someone else.
  3. Update our blog at least once a month (I don't want to get too ambitious) with something real about Fred or myself.
  4. Laugh out loud when I find things funny because laughing is contagious and everyone loves to laugh.
  5. Make a difference to someone in each area I live, and know that I did without them telling me.
  6. Be more sociable. - And be happy about it.

So there you have it. My small but concerted effort to live life now and quit waiting for the next step.

Comments

Hollie said…
Sounds good to me.
Janine said…
Why is it that we are always thinking of tomorrow? Since we talked last week, I have constantly thought about June 27th. The day you arrive in Utah. I am so happy that day is close.

I have often wondered why we worry about tomorrow and in the process miss all that is happening today. I guess it is because today can be so mundane and we are dreamers. I don't really know but it is an interesting thought.
Diane said…
We are told to "be prepared" which would indicate thinking and planning for future times. If we always lived in the here and now we wouldn't be prepared. You just miss a lot if you don't live in the present. And do you notice that each year seems to go faster? The future isn't that far away. It is as close as tomorrow.
Sarra said…
hey thanks for the props, sis! :)

i guess we aren't so different - i haven't gotten all "homey" about any place i've lived so far either. and i was thinking that the next time we move will be it for a while, and i can start decorating at that time. i likely won't. 1) i don't know how, and 2) we don't have money for me to go buy wall art. one day, though.
anyway, great insights and awesome on the blog updates!!