Contemplation

The first moment I saw the following picture I was instantly in love. It captures so beautifully a world I have many times experienced for myself. I felt connected to the child in so many ways, possibly because I too often gazed out the window on bus rides home, becoming lost in that place where reality gives way to imagination, or the bustle and noise of life are shut out to allow passage to the innermost thoughts and feelings of one's soul. Then I noted that the picture was titled Loneliness. Which is exactly how I have felt the last couple of days. John Milton once said, 
"Loneliness is the first thing which God's eyes named, not good." Today I understand that a little better. In the past, I may have viewed loneliness as simply being alone. Today I'd describe it more as the absence of good company when such is desired. In an effort to ebb our loneliness, I got together with two other wives whose husbands are gone for the five weeks as well and we enjoyed a pleasant evening together. But when the evening came to a close and we each headed home, that void of friendly companionship greeted me harshly at the door. How thankful I am for the past year in which Fred and I have been able to spend so much time together. He truly has been my best friend and is sorely missed in his absence.

Comments

Hollie said…
Sorry you have to be alone Jari. I wish you weren't so far away. It was so good to see you again and finally meet your hubby.
Janine said…
What a writer. I believe a writer is not really a writer unless the reader can 100% feel what the writer feels. I felt something while reading your blog. I wish so much that you were here and could come over while Fred is gone. Good luck my friend. Make a few short term goals and complete them before Fred comes back.
Inge Jaye said…
Jari. I hope you can at least hold on to that fact that you are loved! by so many people. (remember the sign in the 'junior hall' of capital high school?)
five weeks is a long time to be without a hubby. hopefully it will go fast.
Sarra said…
Aww, sorry you feel so badly. I've been there, I know EXACTLY what that feels like. As for the bus rides, this is how mine went:
As soon as I got on the bus, I laid my head against the window and slowly my mind turned to mush as the doldrums of every day weighed heavier and heavier. I'm pretty sure I looked to other people like I had been heavily drugged by the way my body sagged into the seat. I barely had enough consciousness to get off at my stop. No wonder things didn't turn out so well for me in college - I'd already lost my brain, I could not be held responsible for my bad actions!!
I hope you feel better soon, and time goes by quickly enough for you.