Dear Friend,
How quickly time passes and life changes. We go through the ups and downs, the starts and stops of life, but as the saying goes, time marches on. Still, for me, the past hasn't gone away. It enhances the now with the memories... Remember the day we met the cat lady? Remember pasta in the church kitchen, a song or two on the piano, and a five-minute nap? Remember when I made you want to scream because I wouldn't open my mouth out of plain old stubbornness and I didn't realize just how ridiculous I was being until months later when I experienced it on the other end? - Sorry. Remember getting to bed on time, then talking for hours late into the night? - Oops Remember that talk we had - you know, the one where we decided our parting was for the best, then awkwardly we ended up not parting? Remember the episode in the snow with the man-eating dog that nearly took your leg off, and we were never so happy to see a man running towards us with a shovel in all our lives? Remember running on ice, or rather falling, and us laughing so hard we nearly wet our pants in spite of the fact that you basically broke your tailbone. Remember those five precious words, when I had the mullet... ? Remember the people? All of them: the ones with five teeth, the wagging index finger, the warm smiles, the welcoming hugs, the ones that lied when they opened the door, the ones needing a shoulder to cry on, and the ones whose shoulders we could cry on? Remember the work, the planning, the disappointment, frustration, and the joy? Remember? I do. Thanks for the memories. Love, Me

Comments

Janine said…
Dear Friend,

I briefly glanced at the Precious Moments picture last night right before bed and thought...oh it is like me and Jari. I didn't read the post until this morning when I realized the post was about us.

Isn't it funny that although we live thousands of miles apart we can still feel so connected? Whenever I think of my best friends, you are on the top of the list. Which I find interesting since we honestly talk only a handful of times throughout the year due to our crazy schedules. But every time we talk feels like no time has passed at all. I feel like we could be sisters.

I laughed remembering all those crazy moments. Here are just a few I remember:

-I remember Oscar. I think I will always remember him. How crazy he was. How excited we were to teach him. And then how sad we were when we saw the lights go out of his eyes. I still hurt thinking about it.

-Eating at the Romeu's house and trying to hide the food in my napkin. Do you remember those nasty empanadas they made? I can't remember what type of meat it was. It still makes me cringe. Hno. Romeu and I still laugh about me hiding food.

-Making cinnamon rolls with Dancito and Nahara. Remember Dancito's prayers? Love him.

-Eating oily spaghetti/pasta with Juan? And then trying to run home or call a remis? How many times did we have to call a remis? I feel so bad...sometimes I really pushed the limit with our curfew. Hopefully, you were better than that.

-The fact that my mullet was a joke and it wasn't a joke for one of your other comps. No names mentioned.

-Eating ice cream with Elder Taylor at Gadget. Remember his obsession with playing music there. And his kid sat outside alone. Oh poor Elder...I can't remember his name. I just remember he missed scout camp and the movie Spirit.

-Remember right before I left I told you all the things you shouldn't do with other comps...eeh. Hopefully, I was a good comp in some sense.

-I loved our pre P-day grocery shopping trips.

-Sharing clothes in the mornings. Do you remember how that room looked? A disaster. Oops.

-Making makeshift shelves to hang our clothes on after washing them.

-Saying goodbye. Saying goodbye to you and Ushuaia was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

Looking back at all my comps, I never had anyone like you. We were just different. I loved every minute. Well, almost every minute. Did we ever really have a big fight? Or fight at all? I can't remember. I do remember you being so stinkin stubborn. But I knew you would grow out of that.

Thanks Jar. I needed this post. I hope to talk to you before Christmas. Can you send me an email with your address? I want to send you a Christmas card.
Sarra said…
Ok, until I read Janine's comment, your post made me think of something out of Housesitter.
hey guys! we just wanted to say hi
A and Princess
RE:
hey, thank you for the photography comment. i love comments-they make me feel warm and fuzzy. hehe.