Thunderstorms

Day 1 -
Last night we had a terrific display of lighting and thunderstorms here in Maryland. It began just as we were going to sleep and the array of lighting and accompanying thunder was utterly fantastic. Sometimes the sound of rain by itself makes me sad. We've had a lot of rainy days here recently that have just been dreary. But when rain is accompanied by lightning and thunder, it seems powerful and exhilarating. I can't remember a time when it ever made me scared. As I sat in bed last night and watched the lighting, it reminded me of camping and laying in my tent at night, listening to storms and imagining the water falling off leaves and animals taking cover and plants soaking up the water. It makes me think of life and renewal. It also reminded me of times while growing up, standing on the front porch at home with Dad, watching the lightning split the sky, and counting the seconds until we heard the thunder. I think his excitement for it fed mine, then and now today. I can't think of thunder and lightning without thinking of Dad. Just one of the many beautiful exhibitions of power in nature.

Comments

Diane said…
There is just something so captivating about a good lightning show. I remember watching the storms come across the Palouse. I'd line the kids up in chairs at the sliding door, pop popcorn, and watch the show. And the thunder made great sound effects! I love your posts!
Sarra said…
I remember standing on the front porch with Dad too! And remember that lighting show we watched at Lake Powell that one year? The purple lightning across the red rocks - it was AWESOME!