An Afternoon Downtown

Day 14 - On Friday Fred finished his last final for his second year of medical school (yea!) and in celebration, we spent the remainder of the day hanging out not worrying about homework of any sort. After enjoying a small picnic together and being the nerds that we are, we decided to hop on the Metro...

(Me all crazy-looking, heading down the long escalator to the Metro at Medical Center)

...and we headed to the Library of Congress at the James Madison Memorial Building.

(Us just outside the building)

While we were there we decided to get ourselves these:

(Library reader's cards that give us access to all the materials inside)

After getting our cards we decided to go to the photography room and look at photographs from the era of the Great Depression. It was amazing! Hundreds of pictures, categorized by area of the country and topic. Fred of course headed to the Northwest section and looked up engineering projects. He discovered some really great photos of his hometown area. Here are a couple of his favorites: (The beginnings of Geneva Steele - I especially like the clarity of Timpanogos in the background)

(A huge mound of sugar beets)

I of course looked at pictures of the people; farmers and women. Here is one of my favorite shots:

I believe this one is of some South Dakota farmers. Apart from the fact that I have a soft spot in my heart for old grandpa men and so find this picture endearing, I believe it was in fact the little boy in the window that caused me to find true love in this photograph. He must have seen the cameraman.

It was a lot of fun and easy to see how such a thing could bring people to have a desire to do family history. We're excited to go back when we have more time. It is incredible to think of the circumstances these people lived through and what our nation has become because they never gave up. It certainly helps me appreciate my own grandparents that much more, as well as my own living circumstances. May we always remember how blessed we are.

Comments

Diane said…
What a WAY COOL outing! I'm sure I could have spent a week (and then some) pouring over pictures like that. That was a great way to celebrate the end of the year. Kudos to the two of you for getting through another tough year. Love you both!
That looks so fun. Every time I watch "National Treasure" I want to go to the Library of Congress. You are so lucky to be close to all of that neat history. Enjoy it!
Sarra said…
Being that close to so much probably eliminates the "what would you like to do today?" battles!
So, are those the Provo smoke stacks? I remember looking at those out of my living room window when we were living there. Crazy!
As for the picture of the men, it totally makes me think of Norman Rockwell. Although it isn't a romanticized illustration, it still has that feel, you know? Must be the boy in the window. ;)
Daniel said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said…
I like that you like the "boy in the window" who, I believe, is actually part of an advertisement for bread. That made me smile.
Monica Calmes said…
Hermana....I no longer have your phone number, and a blog isn't the best place to tell you this, but I realized I don't have your email or anything else either. Therefore it falls on you to contact me. By the way, you are a nerd and I love you for it!