Chocolate Cake

Day 13 -
Tonight's post is short because it's late and I'm tired. I just thought I'd share what I made this afternoon. We celebrated the birthday of our Young Women's secretary tonight and I was in charge of bringing dessert. I hate it when people don't give me explicit directions for things like dessert. I couldn't decide what to make and I was driving Fred crazy looking through all the recipe books and blogs and changing from one idea to another. Part of the problem is that I always seem to be missing one ingredient. I made lemon bars earlier this week so I decided to go with something more traditional and everyone loves chocolate. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture when I finished so all I have is the one piece that the girls saved so I could bring it home to "Brother Nielson". It turned out fairly well and a few of the girls made requests for it on their birthdays so I thought I'd share it.

I had to adapt the recipe a little so here's what I ended up doing.

  • 1 devil's food cake mix
  • 3.4 oz of chocolate pudding mix - (I had a 2.1 box of chocolate pudding and a 1.0 of white chocolate so I just used that)
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 eggs
  • chocolate chips

I just mixed all the ingredients together adding the chocolate chips after blending the other ingredients for a couple of minutes. Then I greased a bunt cake pan and sprinkled it with powder sugar instead of flour. Pour in the mix and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Pull it out and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then I let it cool the rest of the way on a rack. I sprinkled it with powder sugar and then did stripes of chocolate syrup.

The cake is kind of rich and moist and really chocolatey. If you like that sort of thing, give it a try sometime.

Comments

Diane said…
It sounds really good. I think I'll try it sometime. Isn't it fun when you learn to improvise when you are cooking. That's the sign of a great cook. :)
proud parents said…
TOTALLY my thing! This post reminds me of a post a friend of mine put on her blog. I think it suits you so I'm reposting here. You have your pick of options (which I know you love, haha!), only requires 3 ingredients, so you don't have to worry about being short, and takes hardly any time--which I know you're ALWAYS short of! Here goes:

With just 3 ingredients, a microwave and a large serving bowl you will have a delicious simple cake. The best results are with the cake mixes containing the pudding in the mix or they say super moist on the box. Here are the steps.

1. Pour cake mix in the bowl. Add eggs and the pie filling. Mix with a spoon.
2. Put a microwave safe dinner plate on top of the bowl.
3. Put in microwave on high for 15 minutes. If the microwave doesn't have a carousel, rotate a quarter (1/4) turn every 3 minutes.
4. Remove plate and let cool in bowl for 15 minutes then invert onto a plate and serve with suggested toppings or use your imagination.

Black Forest- 1 devils food cake mix, 1 can cherry pie filling, 3 eggs. Top with chocolate syrup, whipped topping or ice cream.

Caramel Apple - 1 butter pecan cake mix, 1 can apple pie filling, 3 eggs. Serve with cinnamon or ice cream.

Apple Cinnamon Spice - 1 spice cake mix, 1 can apple pie filling, 3 eggs. Drizzle with caramel, top with ice cream or cool whip.

Raging Red Raspberry - white or chocolate cake mix, 1 can red raspberry pie filling, 3 eggs. Top with whipped cream and grated chocolate and nuts.

Banana Cake - yellow or chocolate cake mix, 1 can banana cream pie filling or 14 oz of mashed bananas. Glaze with powdered sugar glaze.

Luscious Lemon - 1 lemon cake mix, 1 can lemon pie filling, 3 eggs. Lemon glaze on top.

Fruit cocktail - yellow cake mix and 1 can fruit cocktail in its own juice. 3 eggs. Whipped topping.

Peach Cake - yellow cake, 1 can fruit cocktail in its own juice. 3 eggs

Fantastic chocolate cake - chocolate cake mix, 16 ox. sour cream, 3 eggs and half cup of chocolate chips. Top with powdered sugar.

Cherry chocolate - 1 chocolate cake mix, 1 can cherry pie filling, 3 eggs, top with chocolate syrup.

Pumpkin caramel - 1 spice cake mix, 1 can pumpkin, 3 eggs. 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping and cool whip.

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake - box of lemon cake, 1 can poppy seed filling, 3 eggs.

Pineapple supreme cake - 1 yellow cake mix, 20 ox can of crushed pineapple, 3 eggs. Frosting: mix 2 small can crushed pineapple and 4 oz. box of vanilla pudding. Mix together and fold in 8 oz. container of cool whip. Spread over cake and sprinkle with coconut and nuts.

Pineapple upside down cake - yellow cake mix, small can crushed pineapple in it's own juice, 3 eggs. Mix all together and set aside. In the bottom of the fluted bowl sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Arrange a small can of pineapple rings in the bottom and place a cherry inside each ring. Now pour batter over the top and microwave.

You all get the idea right? 1 cake mix, a can of pie filling and 3 eggs, your choice of topping and viola you have cake.

Keep in mind microwaves vary. You may find you need to cook a minute more or less.
proud parents said…
PS--I took one of these microwave cakes to a dinner once, and it was a hit, so give it a try!