Guys and Girls

Day 11-
So, Fred has this fun habit of answering people's questions in great detail. Of course, it's not detailed to him because he knows WAY more than what he's saying, but to someone who just asked a basic question, it might be considered a lot of info. Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that Fred so willingly shares the knowledge he has worked so hard to obtain, but sometimes I wonder how much of what he is saying other people really understand. Especially relating to anything science. Of course, this could be just because I don't understand so I assume that others don't either. And that got me thinking about some of the differences between Fred and me and then guys and girls in general.

 
Take, for example, a girl's vs guy's day out. What does a girl's day out involve? Chatting while shopping, talking over lunch or dinner, hair cuts and nails with more conversation, baking or crafting and gossip, a movie about relationships followed up with a discussion. Words, words, words. We relate frustrations, achievements, or stories of great importance or no importance at all. You name it, we probably talk about it. Our feelings, thoughts, desires. 

On the other hand, what does a guy's day out involve? Sports and food and... anything else? On top of that, the conversation generally revolves around whatever it is that they are doing.

In April, the WSJ published an article entitled "Friendship for Guys (No Tears!)". In a nutshell, it talks about how male relationships are side by side doing things, and female relationships are face to face, discussing and sharing feelings about things. It's interesting how different we communicate and relates to others and yet, our best friends end up being those of the opposite sex. At least that's how it is in my marriage. Thanks to Fred's sisters he has learned that every now and then date night must include mindless chatter, a little emotional instability, and sometimes a movie that makes you want to cry.

Comments

Diane said…
It is interesting how different guys and girls are from each other. That's why we need each other to be complete.
Erin said…
When I went shopping with Fred and we had to get band-aids, he found some kind cream next to the band-aids with it's drug name. He read it out loud and I immediately thought "here comes a teaching moment" and yes, Fred then proceeded to explain just how that drug worked on a cellular level. It was funny to me but also I love it when Fred shares things like that because I do understand a lot of it :)

And you are right, some of y best friends have been guys...but they come and go until you marry one. Becky is an exception (not a guy, and is still my best friend)!