"If I Could Save Time in a Bottle..."

Day 8 - This week in our ward bulletin there was a reminder of the goals set by our stake leaders of things to work on as families and individuals. Most of the goals include the basics like reading scriptures and praying individually and as a family, having FHE every week, attending the temple, and so forth. But one goal I had forgotten was to work on overcoming a weakness. I pondered for a while during the meeting what weakness I want to focus on overcoming this year. As I sat and thought about what I wanted to change or do better, I became a little overwhelmed realizing all the areas in my life that I can improve. It seems like I have weaknesses in abundance, so the question is how to choose just one. I guess I realize that personal improvement takes a lifetime to achieve, but being as impatient as I am, I always want to see my results now. Unfortunately, it takes time to truly change and to see that progression.
In my family, we used to love watching the muppet show as kids. In all reality, we sometimes still like watching the muppet show. One act I really liked was this chemist muppet singing If I Could Save Time in a Bottle. As he sings about what he would do with the time saved in a bottle and drinks his potions, he slowly turns younger and younger, but in the end, he poofs back into an old man. So sad. This is one of the things I thought about as I considered ways to improve my life.
And so, I have decided to strive to improve my use of time. I think time is something I sometimes don't take seriously and don't use effectively. I think so much could be accomplished if I could just manage my time and make it productive. I think I'll keep a record of some of the things I've been able to accomplish throughout the year because of productive time use.
What would you do with some extra time?

Comments

Diane said…
Sheighla and I watched a John Bytheway video (What's in Your Backpack)yesterday and he mentioned the use of time. He cut out his hour of watching the news on tv and went to bed earlier and then got up an hour earlier and over the next four months wrote a book (his first). At this point in my life, if I had extra time I would want to sleep. But one of my goals this year was to study church materials for an hour every day. I did well for a while and then forgot it. Your blog is a good reminder for me. Thanks!
proud parents said…
Your Aunt Lorrie would be proud of you. Let's see, what would I do with extra time? All the things I need to do that doesn't get done because I don't have time! PHEW!
Haha--my word verification is "drivel".
Janine said…
Okay...so since you rarely updated your blog before two weeks ago, I was surprised to find several new posts. I like this new goal. Perhaps I will actually laugh once a day while reading what you have to write. You are so funny in your own very special Jari way. I think it is the same way I am funny which is probably why I laugh so much when I talk to you. Good luck to 100 days.