Ode to the Mothers

Day 12 - This isn't really an Ode because I don't write poetry, but I do want to express the love and admiration I have for a few of the mothers in my life.
MY MOM
A few things about her:
  • she loves flower gardens
  • she loves camping because she loves nature
  • she loves things that are little
  • she's very creative though she doesn't believe it
  • she has a beautiful voice
  • she loves her children
  • she loves her grandchildren more :)
  • she's a wonderful seamstress
  • she's down to earth and accepting of everyone
  • she likes rocks
  • she doesn't like crowds or loud noises or high-heel shoes
  • she has an incredible amount of faith

My mother is an amazing person in so many ways. She has the biggest heart and has made so many personal sacrifices to help others. She is a wonderful example of service and selflessness. I have seen her overcome tremendous challenges and trials demonstrating great perseverance. She's a woman who can make you feel immediately at home and unjudged, who doesn't put on pretenses and would give anyone the clothes off her back if she thought they needed it. My mother has an extreme amount of patience, which she has patiently tried to share with me though I seem to be "patience resistant". She has a very calm demeanor and a beautiful smile. I hope someday to be a mother like my mom.

Some of my fond childhood memories with my mom:

  • mom singing me cute little songs at bedtime or while I waited for the bus in kindergarten
  • trips to and from soccer practice discussing anything and everything
  • a summer water fight even though mom was pregnant
  • watching my mom work in the garden early in the mornings
  • mom being excited to see the garden snake Erin caught walking back from the Squire's house
  • listening to bedtime stories like the Hobbit
  • late night talks about the wonders of the universe when I had a million questions and she would listen and answer them all
  • chocolate zucchini cake and picnics at the HP park
  • cooking at Christmas time
  • making puffy Valentines
  • long trips for family reunions with my mom thinking of ways to keep us all occupied and being patient when I always had to go the bathroom 20 minutes after leaving the last rest stop.

I love you so much mom. I know you have sacrificed a lot for me. I am so thankful for every one of my brothers and sisters and know that you have raised me to appreciate my family and make them the most important thing in my life.

KARLA NIELSON

A few of the wonderful things about Karla:

  • she is incredibly ambitious and self-motivated
  • she's very resourceful and clever with the things she has
  • she too has a big heart and is always thinking of ways to bless the lives of others
  • she's an amazing cook and a very generous host
  • she makes great sacrifices for her family
  • she has a great appreciation for education and has used hers to bless the lives of many people
  • she raised an incredible young man to be my charming husband for which I am eternally thankful
  • she has a strong testimony of Christ and willingly shares it with everyone
  • she lives her convictions

Karla is another important mom in my life. I have learned so much from her in the two and a half years that I have known her. Though much of that time has been spent across the country from her, her actions have a long reach and continue to bless Fred and me here in Maryland. I admire her example of hard work and dedication to be constantly engaged in a good cause. She always shows a great deal of interest in what I am doing and offers help of all kinds when she can. Thanks so much for your love and support, Karla. Though we are far away, we can feel your love and we appreciate your concern for our well-being.

GRAM

Enough good cannot be said about Gram. She is a classy woman who has demonstrated a great deal of love throughout her life. She did a great job raising 4 wonderful children on her own. Gram is the best cook. She always has wonderful meals for every special occasion or no occasion at all. She is neat and organized, has the most beautiful smile, and gives wonderful hugs. Some of my favorite memories with Gram include the time she let Sarra and I sleep in the motor home during the family reunion and she sang "Look at that Doggie in the Window" way more times than mom would have allowed if she were there; her telling me "you're just like your mother" the summer I stayed with her before 7th grade because I didn't want to brush or do my hair; listening to her talk about Rufus, the hummingbird who ruled her backyard for a while; her dedication to her flower garden - working so hard in it, then having a monsoon come through and basically destroy it, she went out the next morning and revived it; the look she always gives Gpa Bill when he is "in trouble" for making us laugh about something she thinks he shouldn't have said; the yearly birthday card that always let me know she's thinking of me. I love you Gram and always look forward to our visits, as brief as they may be. Thanks for being a wonderful mom and grandma!

GRANDMA PETRIE

Grandma Petrie passed away less than a month after I returned home from my mission. I'm glad she hung around until I came home. She lived to be 90 and saw a lot of changes in the world. Just before she passed away a few of us went to visit her in the hospital, and we sang her songs. She loved it. I like to remember her then with a smile on her face as she listened. As kids, we used to love spending the night at grandma's and "forgetting" our pajamas so that we could wear the extra nightgown dresses at her house. She always gave us bits of candy and chocolate when we went to visit. She made the best rhubarb dessert ever! She used to always feed us fresh berries from her garden in the summertime and let us play in the water during irrigation season. She liked to tell stories when we took time to listen and I enjoyed listening to her tell stories of her service in the military during WWII. I also have fond memories of her singing the Chick-a-dee-dee song. My grandma was a wonderful mother. She loved her kids, raised them to love their country, love the Lord, and be respectful. We love you grandma and look forward to seeing you again!

Comments