This is just a random post of some of the things we've been up to around here. These first few are pictures of Fred teaching me to tie surgeon knots and put in stitches for one of our recent FHE activities.
Our first patient was the Sunday shoe, on whom I got to practice tieing the knots. I must note that Fred was slightly embarrassed that we were using plyers instead of needle drivers. For his peace of mind, I thought I'd inform everyone that he does know how to do this with all the proper equipment
but I figure he was just teaching me to be resourceful in case I'm all alone for some reason at home and have to put stitches into one of my children, I can now use plyers to do it.
Here is Fred all happy as he opens the sutures. I like how excited he gets about this stuff. As you can see, our next patient is Mr. Tomato. Fred sliced him open on the side so we could patch him up. He wasn't the best patient. You'll see why in a minute.
Here is the first little knot. The sutures we used were a little too thick for Mr. Tomato. They are meant for the fleshy parts of the deep abdomen and the poor guy's skin just couldn't handle it.
So here you can see try number three after ripping through the skin a few times. I like the curvy needle. It was a good little lesson and I look forward to getting more practice at it later. With my current skills, I'd be leaving Frankenstein scars on all my patients.
Last Sunday I made some snickerdoodles for Fred's home teachees. I followed a recipe from his mom. They were delicious, and as you can see, the recipe made a TON. Fred also took a bunch into the hospital when he did rounds the next morning at 5:00. I'm not sure they make the best breakfast...
The next couple of items are products of the generosity and patience of my neighbor and friend Patti, who took the time to go shopping with me for material and then to teach me how to make a nursing cover and burp cloths. I'm pleased with how they turned out. I obviously made them in preparation for the arrival of our daughter whom I affectionately refer to as "the Little Booger" because of all the roundhouse kicks she distributes to my innards and ribs. Fred thinks I should quit calling her this because "she'll come out thinking that is her name." I don't see a problem with that. I figure our next child will be a boy, I'll call him Goober, and then they can be Boog and Goob.
A close-up of the material before they were finished. The final products.
Lastly, I've done a bit of babysitting for neighbors lately and Erin introduced me to Maddy, the little girl she watches. She is adorable. Here are some pictures of her and the other girls we watched together one day for my neighbor.
All in all, a successful couple of weeks. I've also been learning to cook a little better but food is sometimes boring to post so I'll spare you all those pictures. More updates to come with pictures of my time with Rebecca and Erin.

Comments

Diane said…
What an absolutely fun FHE to learn how to "sew" on people. You are learning all kinds of sewing skills. Lucky. And I guess that was a bit of creative genius coming up with the names for your kids. ;)
proud parents said…
Congrats on your pregnancy!
Sarra said…
Yay, I think you absolutely should call her a Booger! Boog and Goob will be hilarious nick-names . :)
Also, don't let Fred harass you too much. After all, he isn't the one who has to endure the painful jabs to the bladder and kidneys, the pinching of the sciatic nerve, the shortness of breath and cramped stomach. Not to mention the intolerable weight gain. I could go on.....