Change

I've had a lot of time to reflect on my life over the last couple of weeks. To say the transition into motherhood has been smooth and simple would be a harsh contrast to the truth. But to say it's been worth it would be a drastic understatement. My life has changed dramatically in the last few months. I caught myself thinking yesterday about all the things I would miss from my life as it had been with just Fred and me now that this change had occurred. We have been so happy in our marriage. But then I stopped myself and realized, things have changed, and while we sometimes see change as a challenge, it usually brings greater opportunities and incomprehensible blessings. So I started thinking about what I love about my changed life.
I love watching these two together. Fred is such a proud father. His eyes beam when he looks at Charlotte. He's always chuckling at her little squeaks and grunts. He's happy to hold her in the evenings after a long day at work and just watch her as she makes her funny little faces. He's been the best hands-on dad, holding her late into the night and changing her diapers to allow me a couple extra hours of sleep even though it means less for him as he has to get up early for work. I'm sure the attention he gives her will not go unnoticed as she gets older. She'll be a daddy's girl.
After three weeks of eating and sleeping, Charlotte is beginning to really wake up. Unfortunately, this often happens in the wee hours of the morning when I want to be in bed, but occasionally it happens during the day too. This week she really looked at me. She responded to my voice and I watched as her eyes focused on me. It was the coolest thing. Such a precious moment. We have a million pictures of Charlotte's favorite face to make (the scowl), but more recently she has begun to show us the sweetest smile. After several previous attempts, I was finally able to get a small sample of it on camera. Too cute. It melts my heart every time.
And here's a picture of what I do with my life these days. The past three weeks have brought an overwhelming sense of joy to my life. Charlotte has brought a love into our home that is incredible. Her presence has helped me realize how much I love Fred, helped me understand the love of a mother, helped me appreciate the love of our Heavenly Father, and have greater hope in the Atonement of our Savior with the opportunity for an eternal family. Thanks, Charlotte for blessing us with this great change!

Comments

Diane said…
I love how alert she looks. And those cheeks....too fun. Every developmental phase is so enjoyable. She sure is precious!
Hollie said…
I love her hair! So happy for you Jari. Being a parent is NOT easy, but those precious moments make it more than worth it!
Sarra said…
Charlotte sure is adorable!