One Small Step for Baby, One Giant Leap for Parent Kind

What can I say? I love this little girl. She is truly starting to come alive. When I make funny faces and soft noises, she stares at me, intent on trying to make sense of what I am doing. When I repeat little noises like "Ooo, Ooo..." she smiles and makes the same noise. What a gem!
Even though we love to hold her, every now and again we'd love to have a little break to just talk like grown-ups. So today I have logged on to the World Wide Web to announce something huge - no, something monumental. Charlotte has discovered her Crib Mobile. Up till now, we have turned it on while she is lying in bed, hoping it would distract her long enough to fall asleep. It plays a little song, has little stuffed animals that hang down and move in a circle, and projects light in the shape of little stars and fish on the ceiling for her to watch. Being so little, she of course paid no attention to these distractors, so we have not turned it on in a while. However, just two days ago I placed her in her crib and decided to turn it on and give it a try. It was amazing! She stared at the lights on the ceiling with wonder and delight. I stared at her in wonder and delight. A huge cognitive milestone just passed before my eyes. The first sign (besides length and weight) is that she is growing up. I was so excited for her. And yes I was a little excited for myself - I now have a babysitter good for 20 minutes each night, free of charge.
Today we decided to try out the playmat and she did pretty well. She lay there looking at things for about 20 minutes. That is pretty exciting for us. Of course, I had to get down on all fours and shake little objects for her and make noises. Who can resist playing with such a beautiful little girl? Needless to say, we had a good time. So while this may seem like a small step for our little baby, it is a huge step for mom and dad.

Comments

your Charlotte is so cute!! Isn't it such a joy?? It will be fun exchanging stories since our Charlottes are only a few weeks apart...good planning!! I'm glad we can keep in touch through our blogs. It will be fun to see our little girls meet one day! Love you.