Brownie Follow Up

To start off, thank you one and all for the great care and concern you expressed in helping me solve my “No Oven” dilemma. There were many wonderful suggestions. Some of you even did some research and shared what you found with me via email. Thanks.

In the end, I figured I would side with ol Ockham. I had a frying pan – so I went with that.


Alright, so here I am doing the most simple thing – adding the brownie mix to the three eggs and apple sauce mixture. It was at this moment that I thought of something else I should have done (and will try next time); I should have separated the whites from the yolk, beat the whites till they formed soft peaks, then folded that into the brownie, apple sauce, and yolk mixture. The reason I think this would be a good thing to do is because it is the same step that adds fluffy deliciousness to Æbleskivers.



I know how to make pancakes, so that seemed like the most logical thing to try first (1). I cooked them on medium low so as to give the batter the chance to cook as well as possible. The reason I did this is because I prefer cake-like brownies over fudge-like brownies (also the reason I added three eggs rather than 2). As you can see (2), they turned out alright. They were not as thick as I wanted but I was still enthused that my efforts were not completely in vain at that poin.

Now waiting for the brownies to cook was a difficult. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I wanted to eat them, not stand around watching them cook. For this reason, I thought I would increase my brownie size (3). Please note, I do not think that Weight Watchers would approve of this as an acceptable portion size. I don’t know that for sure, maybe I'll call and find out. Anyway, even having a non-stick pan is not enough to obtain flipping perfection. Considering the others turned out well I assume that it was simply user error, but still, getting under a thick brownie to flip is difficult because they are much heavier than pancakes.


The crumbs in the picture may or may not represent the remainder of the first batch. I think there is a mouse in my kitchen...

The arrow is pointing to my last stove top brownie. This is how I recommend they be made – thick and big. The big one ended up a little more moist than the others. I think that a single box mix may make 4 large brownies, unless you have a mouse like I do in the kitchen. In that case, you may end up with only 3 large brownies when you are done. And be careful, the kind of mice that eat brownies are also known to drink a large glass of milk or two. So just be on your game if you attempt to make stove top brownie or else the mouse may get the best of you.


Comments

Diana said…
I love it! Congratulations on getting them to work! I can pretty much guranatee that if they were cooked in my kitchen, the mouse would probably get 3/4. :)
PapaLarry said…
Well done my innovative SIL!! Bachelor brownies a la frying pan. You are to be commended and admired both for your persistence and your adaptability. I think hungry mice are a universal resident in kitchens of the hungry.
And thanks for the tips and insight. I may try a batch of my own here soon! ;-)