Making Prayer a Reflex



Today at church one of the speakers said prayer should be a reflex. He was discussing obstacles and adversity and didn't elaborate on the statement, but it caught my attention so I began to reflect on what it really means.


One definition for reflex is an "automatic, unthinking, often habitual behavior or response." In light of his talk, the speaker referred to the need to call upon our Savior to seek help in the face of trials. He said it shouldn't be a question of what to do when faced with challenges, we should automatically speak to the Lord.


I reflected on the past few weeks in which I have expereienced an abundance of situations that have called into question my strength in various facets of my life. In addition to trials, I began to think about other reasons I pray: to show gratitude, to seek guidance, to seek blessings (for myself and others), to talk, to ask questions, to feel peace, and to show love. As I thought about my situations I considered each time I had addressed a topic with the Lord and then reviewed how often prayer had been a reflex or a "last resort" for me. I am ashamed to admit that the latter is the case more often than I would like.



We are counseled to pray always and not faint. Growing up I always thought the idea of praying all day long was a little ridiculous. No one could spend all day on their knees or nothing would ever get done. I have since come to understand that we can be in communion with God all day without kneeling in formal prayer. Each day is full of events, both significant and not. In every event we may acknowledge the Lord's hand,immediately and in the moment; whether it is to take it as He lifts us up, or to thank Him for extending it so freely, or simply to talk in pleasant conversation. And that, I feel, is the successful acheivement of making prayer a reflex.

Comments

Tim Davie said…
Great Post, guys. Good stuff.
Thanks for that. It is a good thought and I one I needed to remember today.
PapaLarry said…
To have a prayer in your heart always is sometimes the only way to get through those tough days. And on Sunday we covenant "to always remember Him" and that is best done with a prayer sometimes. Great reminder-- thanks.