Heartache and Apologies

A very dear friend of mine recently shared a harrowing experience she and her husband have had to face. When I first found out my stomach sank and my heart broke. I sat for a moment and cried. Then I tried to think of something I could do to help them through the grieving process. Everything I thought of seemed inadequate and I brushed it all aside. I didn't call because I was afraid she didn't want to talk. I didn't email or text because it seemed, to me, so impersonal. So instead I kept feeling bad but did nothing. When I later heard of the flowers and notes sent, of the emails and phone calls she had received, and the outpouring of love from other friends and family I suddenly realized I didn't have to say the perfect thing; I didn't need to send the perfect gift. Being selfishly consumed with getting it perfect, I forgot to be a friend. I did nothing. And so I would like to say: Dearest friend, I am so sorry. If you read this, please know that you have been in my prayers. My heart aches for you and your family. I know you are strong, but sometimes strong people need someone to lean on. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you as you have always been for me. I hope that by sharing a bit of your heartache, you and your family may feel that much less. I love you guys dearly.

Comments