Learning From One Another

One of the themes that has been prevalent in some of my classes, personal study, and random conversations since the beginning of the year concerns the importance of learning to be confident in yourself. This includes a level of being comfortable noting your flaws, not just to correct them but also to accept the ones that you can't change.
About a month ago, Charlotte began learning all the parts of her face.
In the process of learning about the ears, Charlotte would touch one of my ears, then turn my face with her hands so she could touch the other ear. One day as she turned my face she discovered something.
This may look like just a freckle, but it is in fact a small mole. It's not too large or super noticeable, but it has on occasions of self-scrutiny annoyed me. When Charlotte discovered this mole she was thrilled. She always smiled big and touched it while saying "ohhhh" in her high-pitched sing-song voice or just let out a giggle as she ran her fingers over it. Whenever she finished playing with it, she gave me a hug.
Charlotte has taught me a great many things in her short time here on earth. I think the greatest thing I am learning from her is unconditional love and recognizing what is really important about people, including myself.
And now when I think about the mole on my face, I think about Charlotte. I'm sure she'd be thrilled to know she has a special connection to my mole.

Comments

Monica Calmes said…
That is the cutest story about Charlotte! So I had my baby in November...I'll be posting about that shortly:) Email me about your trip at the end of April so we can get together while you're here. monica@calmes.org is my email. I look forward to hearing from you.
Diana said…
That is so cute! She is so smart and grown up!
Diane said…
We must have watched this five times before going to bed last night. SO excited for you to come. And this time I plan to spend with Charlotte and NO cleaning and sorting.