Holiday Review 2

New Years' Eve Day (skipped this in the last post, sorry) was fun. Jari's cousin from Boise, ID was in town and asked to meet up. They were staying close to Red Rock so we packed up the car once more to go hiking. It was lots of fun; Charlotte did quite a bit of the walking. This was a welcome change. It was a bit colder than our last outing but still fun. 


While at work between the holidays, a fellow resident mentioned he was in the process of looking for furniture. I mentioned the Ana-white website and we looked at some furniture together. I guess the building bug bit me again because I soon found myself at the home depot buying more wood. Here are a few pictures of the coffee table we build. We screwed the lid together using the Kreg drill.


Remember that I am still not that great at woodworking so I had to find ways to fix my mistakes...


Charlotte was really good to watch and try to help clean up along the way.


I guess that winter is the perfect time for projects here because the days are nice (high in the 50s but sunny). Here we are preparing to stain.


The coffee table without the patterned X on the end  We decided that making the X was a hassle and I had limited time. I was also wanting this project to end, so we voted to simply sand, stain, and seal.


The end table. 


Another view of the end table. We were disappointed in the finished product in that the stain was far too red for our liking, we were hoping for more of a grey-brown, suggestive of old barn-weathered wood. But it will do. 


And that brings us to Sunday morning. Charlotte and I are both in our second set of clothes. I feel fine but she is in the happy, then sick/vomiting cycles today. I hope I did not bring something home from the hospital. Oh well, what can you do but hold them and let them know it will be OK right?


We sure love this little one. It will be a might change to bring a second child into our home. All was can hope for now is that the next baby will arrive safe and sound. In the meantime, Charlotte is a cuddle bug while she is sick which means I finally get some one-on-one time with her.

Happy Holidays to all our friends and family. We hope you are well and that this new year brings you the opportunities to grow, learn, and love. 

Comments

Sarra said…
The furniture looks awesome! You could leave it outside in the wind, rain, and sun for a while to help fix the color. Just look at the fences in the neighborhoods - it works for them!
Diana said…
Seriously Fred! The furniture looks amazing! Wood working class or not, you have talent. Does your Home Depot have a scrap wood section too? Granted, some of them are "scrap" for a reason, but we have purchased lots of that wood for various projects and at .51 cents a piece, I can't complain. :) Check it out next time you are planning something. :)
Necia said…
wow fred that looks awesome I am super impressed with it all! way to go!!