A Recently Completed Project

It's no secret that when I was pregnant with Hazel, Charlotte was not in love with the idea of having a baby around. Several people suggested that I get her a baby doll of her own to help her get used to the idea and to get excited about having her own baby. Unfortunately when I took her to the store and offered her her choice of baby dolls, she refused them all. Without fail, when we have kids over playing they all ask where her babies are. Every time, I have to explain that she uses her animals as her babies. Really it doesn't bother me at all that she prefers animals to dolls. I was more of a stuffed animal lover myself. But I do want her to love her baby sister.

Thankfully Hazel's sweetness and complete adoration for her older sister is FINALLY winning her over.

Be that as it may, I decided to see if I could instill in Charlotte a love for a doll. I knew it would have to be a special one. So I contrived a plan. I scoured my favorite craft blogs and pinterest for a free but quality cloth doll pattern. And then before I even made them, I named them after my great grandma and my grandma. This made the project fun and special as I was able to think about all four girls as I put them together. My sub-par sewing skills limited the perfection of the completed dolls, but they are unique and made with lots of love, both for my girls as well as the doll's namesakes. 

So without further ado, meet Ruby Lew and Alice Fair


They are even cute without their skirts!



I showed Charlotte a picture of the three dolls made by the woman who provided the pattern and tutorial and asked her if she liked dolls. She looked at the picture and said, "No, but I want the one with braids." And that's how Alice Fair became Charlotte's. At least she will be in December on Christmas Day. 


I cheated and showed Ruby Lew to Hazel before I had completely finished her and she was so excited she outright laughed and tried to hug her.


A closer look



And an inscription of love (though Fred believes it was ill placed).





Comments

Diane said…
I love the dolls, Jari. They turned out great. I would have loved to see Hazel try to hug her doll. And Charlotte just makes me laugh. But mostly I love the pictures of Charlotte hugging Hazel. What fun sisters! :)
Sarra said…
OH MY GOSH those dolls are soooo cute!
Way to go on an awesome project!
Diana said…
I love them! That is such a great idea! They look so good. You're girls are going to love them!
They turned out cute. Family keepsake! They will be passed down. We are just getting into this girl stuff baby dolls. a little different than superheros.