Dia de Los Muertos

The weekend after Halloween Fred and I took the girls to a Dia de Los Muertos celebration at the Springs Preserve here. One of the things you can do is face painting; either half or full face as in the following examples.



Being a celebration of the dead, of course the face painting is skull faces although you can see they are artistic at least. Anyway, Fred and I decided to let Charlotte get her face painted. We purchased the tickets and went to the face painting area. There were about 30 people in front of us and only 4 face painters so I told Fred I would stand in line and he took the girls to look at the displays and get food. The line moved painfully slow. In fact I didn't make it to the front of the line until 90 minutes, a nursing session and a decent nap later. Be that as it may, I finally called Fred, told him it was time and he brought Charlotte over. 

I asked her what colors she wanted on her face and she said "I don't want my face painted." Grrrrr- I did NOT just stand in line 90 minutes for her to NOT get her face painted. 

"Charlotte," I sweetly said, "we are getting your face painted in three minutes. What do you want on your face?" 

"I want a cat." - Hmmm, maybe we'll just tell her it's a cat.

So it's our turn and we get called to the grumpiest man to get her face painted. "So, what do you want?" he asked. I laughingly replied, "She says she wants a cat, (slight pause at his incredulous look) but you could probably do anything with pink and she'll be happy." No response. And then he just picked up the paint and started going. Charlotte was not happy and refused to close her eyes so the man could paint them. From where I was, I couldn't tell what he was doing. Fred took the following pictures of the process.











And then he picked up the mirror and showed her...


and he actually smiled then too.


She proceeded to meow for the rest of the night and people actually thought we had a cat in our stroller until they saw her and then they just laughed.


Comments

Diane said…
I'm still laughing! I'll probably laugh all day as I think about it. But what a good job the grumpy painter did. What a good guy! And I love the last picture of Fred with the girls. I love your family!
Sarra said…
Lol! I am so proud of you for not reacting to Charlotte the way I would have reacted to one of my kids had I been in the same situation!
Diana said…
Hahaha I love it! Charlotte is so funny! The cat is adorable. You are a very nice parent to stand in line that long.