Korean Communications

 Charlotte did swim lessons in August. She had 2 wonderful teachers, Ms. Shirley and Mr. Han. They are of course both Korean and speak with heavy accents although they are fairly easy to understand. Charlotte loves the water and was thrilled to be taking lessons - and like a good big sister, she was thrilled to share what she was learning with Hazel.


One night I was privy to one of these sisterly swim lessons taking place in our living room in which Charlotte was inviting Hazel to do one of her favorite activities. I was in the kitchen cooking so I couldn't see what was happening but I could hear the instructions.

"Okay, Hazel. What you have to do next is hold on to the side and then push off the war with your legs and float into my arms."

"What, Charlotte?"

"Push off the war into my arms." PAUSE "The war, Hazel! In swimming, that is like a wall. A war is a wall."

I nearly lost it, laughing in the kitchen. Oh, sweet Charlotte, you are right. War is like a wall. 




Comments