Life is Good

Recently I was ruminating on the insanity that sometimes consumes my house or more accurately, my life. I was feeling somewhat overcome by the hourly whiplash inflicted on my emotions ranging between dire exasperation at the purposeful disobedience of my kids and utter joy at their sweet innocence and love. The internal battle between how I feel, how I wish I felt, and how I react to those feelings, both bad and good, monopolized my much-needed energy to survive. 

In the midst of my pondering, my thoughts turned to the concept of moments. How each day is filled with thousands of moments and how quickly things change from one moment to the next.  




I think memories of moments are enhanced by the level of emotion connected to them. Consequently I realize the more emphasis I place on our bad moments, the more likely those are going to be the memories we have of these years. But as I focus more on the happy moments we tend to conclude each day remembering "it was a good day, mommy."


 I've been having to work hard at enjoying some of the moments my children find delightful when everything inside me is cringing. This usually includes hearing the same joke/story 37 times in a row and being expected to laugh believably every single time;



Or pretending that I'm Diamond, the pony, in search of a way to save Sparkle Twink, my baby pony who is in never ending distress;



Or watching 89 performances of Let It Go, introducing the girls separately as Princess Charlotte and Princess Hazel each time they come "on stage".

(There was absolutely no noise coming from Hazel as she was making this face, so as far as what she was thinking, your guess is as good as mine.)

But on some rare occasions I get to watch my girls just enjoy being together.



And I get to watch Zachary grow and adore his sisters.




Sometimes life around here is boring. Sometimes life around here is stressful. Sometimes life around here is just plain irritating. But I have to remember that those are just moments and moments pass.



I'm trying not to stress the small things these days. And while that doesn't mean we are always happy, when I remember not to emphasize or focus on the bad moments, we all have a little more fun.



I'm trying to put a little less emphasis on the things that frustrate me and focus more on the good things that are happening; when I do, I remember and feel that life is good.

Comments

Diane said…
Thank you for sharing all the pictures of your kids. I don't think it is possible to post too many (at least not for me). It is a great post, Jari. Love your insight!
ChristopheRobyn said…
Jari, I haven't been on your blog in the longest time, but finally tried updating mine and saw your name on the side bar and thought I'd click over and see how your family was doing. Oh my goodness--this post is exactly what I needed to hear today. I have so many of those mommy moments you were describing, and too often I think I focus too much on the negative and not enough on the positive. Thank you for the wonderful reminder that these are just moments and the more I focus on the positive ones, the more those will be the things we remember as a family. PS--I didn't even know you had a little boy. Obviously I should keep up on reading blogs better!
Hollie said…
Love this post! I need to work on that too! Love you girl!
Jari said…
Robyn, I'm so glad you commented. For some reason I lost access to your blog and I've been wondering about your family also. I'm glad this post helped you. And I'm selfishly glad to know I'm not the only one who stuggles with this :)
I hope your family is doing well!
Jari said…
This comment has been removed by the author.