Scripture Reading

While reading the scriptures tonight as a family we read Alma 5:36:

"For behold, the time is at hand that whosoever bringeth forth not good fruit, or whosoever doeth not the works of righteousness, the same have cause to wail and mourn."

Charlotte: Hey dad, what does wail mean?
Me: It is what people do when they are extra sad, like when they cry really loud, sometimes in a group of people when everyone is sad, but it is when they are loud and cry. Like this ( I then demonstrate)...
Charlotte: Oh! Like what me and Hazel do.
Me: Yeah...just like that.
Charlotte: Hey dad, what does mourn mean?
Me: That is when people are just really sad, but maybe not loud. Here is an example, let's say that someone in our family died, like Grandma Nielson. How would you feel?
Charlotte: Really sad...(sad look on her face)
Me: Right. When you are really sad and have a hard time being happy because someone just died and you miss them, you are mourning - meaning you are feeling really sad for a while.
Charlotte: Oh, OK. (Sudden cheerfulness) How about I do an example now? Let's say I lose my Minnie Ring. I would be really sad.
Me: Yes Charlotte (Jari is biting her lip at this point trying not to laugh), your example and my example are nearly on the same level of sadness...

Comments

Diane said…
What a treasure she is!
Diane said…
Her ability to impress never ceases to amaze me!