Parental Reflections

My mind has been weighed down with a lot of thoughts lately. Many of them concerning my children. 




As most parents do, I worry a lot about my kids. I worry about their safety and their well-being. But mostly, I worry about them. About who they are.




I wonder, are they honest? Are they patient?




Are they happy? Optimistic?



Do they love enough? Or serve enough?




Are they kind and compassionate?




Are they quick to forgive? Are they quick to say sorry?




Are they generous with what they have or are they selfish?






My kids won't be small forever, and sometimes that worries me. Am I doing right by them now? Am I teaching them all they need to know and be? But the more I've thought on this recently, the more I've realized that I've been focused on the wrong thing. I'm asking the wrong questions. 



It's not about who they are. The question I should be asking is, am I all those things? Because if I'm not all I hope my kids will be, then how can I ever teach them?






Comments

Diane said…
Your kids couldn't have better teachers than you and Fred. I know that is true because you always include Heavenly Father in the right way to raise them. You post so many wonderful pictures of daily life that show them to be healthy and happy. They are very fortunate to have a happy and secure childhood. They are free to express themselves in such fun ways that are so delightful and entertaining (when they aren't tired or cross). What precious gems they are! Just like their parents!