Scripture Reading


Over a year ago we started reading the Book of Mormon with our children,10 verses each night. It has taken us a long time to get to the story of Helaman and his 2000 Warriors but now that we are there it has provided some memories worth recording.

Something tender: last night while I was at work Jari led scripture reading with the girls and read about Helaman talking with his 2000 young men before they went to fight. Jari sent me this text: 

"Tonight we read Alma 56:41-50. As I was explaining verse 47 about the testimony of Helaman's sons concerning their faith in God and their courage to do what was right Hazel excitedly said, "I feel Jesus!" I'm so thankful the spirit was here tonight to teach them. I told them they will one day be mothers and they will get to teach their children too, just like the mothers of Helaman's sons. Then Charlotte prayed in her personal prayer that she and Hazel would one day teach their kids about Heavenly Father and Jesus." 

Even at a young age children can feel the Holy Ghost and learn of the Lord's love for them. Thank you, Jari for teaching them.

Something funny: sometimes Hazel or Charlotte say things in scriptures or prayer that make us laugh. Sometimes it's hard to keep our composure. From Alma 56:52 I helped Hazel read by telling her what to say and she would repeat it. 

Me: And it came to pass
Hazel:  And it came to pass
Me: that the Lamanites took courage
Hazel: that the Lamanites, courage
Me: and began to pursue them
Hazel: and began to screw them.

I looked at Jari while biting my tongue trying not to laugh but Jari just made it worse as she was laughing as well. We made it through somehow, a few words at a time and a lot of deep breathing. 

I am grateful for the scriptures.


Comments

Karla Nielson said…
I am so proud of you both! If all parents were like you, there would be a world of Helaman's Army and their mothers. Doens't get any better! The kids are precious and hilarious! We miss you!
Diane said…
Each of those stories are precious and priceless, as are your children! You have a never ending source of joy and enjoyment in them. Thanks for sharing these delightful moments!