Growing Confidence

A point of sadness for Hazel over the past few months is the never-ending challenges to a race by Charlotte, Hazel always coming in second. Charlotte loves to be first or the best like any child and teaching both of them this is not the only way to"win" has been difficult. 

Hazel has lost enough races to feel like she does not like running anymore. She did however decide to go jogging with Charlotte, Zachary, and me (Dad) a few days ago. Charlotte like always took off ahead. I told Hazel that success in running is not coming in first,  rather having the strength to keep going when you are tired. I told her how proud I was of her and she stepped up to the challenge. 

Roughly 0.75 miles later and only one stop for water she made it home. I was so proud of her. She was tired and even though Charlotte kept running ahead, today I think Hazel was the real winner. Her confidence is growing as evident by her request for better running shoes (I guess she gets that from me... sorry). 

Comments