A Day Sledding - Mt. MooBong

I was fortunate enough to receive paternity leave at work, so on my final day I decided to take the kids sledding at Mt. MooBong which is 6 miles east of the Air Force Base in South Korea. It seemed funny paying for sledding because as a child we simply took a sled and found a hill and went sledding. Unfortunately, we have only a few hills here that are not covered in brush. So we end up paying for man-made snow and sled rentals.


Yesterday was the Lunar New Year and we were unsure if they would be open but to our joy they were. And we were the only patrons at the time. 15,000 Won (~$14) got us 2 sleds. Sadly Zachary had his hands in his pockets and took a spill just as we got on the snow; fell right on his face and that set the mood for him the rest of the morning - just never got into it.


The kids were scared to go down the hill at first but were good sports as we split up 2 to a sled and I pulled them down the hill.



You can see the large hill behind Hazel here which we took turns going down (i.e. I would go down the hill with each one of them one at a time). The girls were really good to wait and watch Zachary while I climbed the hill with each other girl respectively. Zachary never really enjoyed the large hill or small hill as he would cover his face.


View from the small hill.

The Koreans have several workers there watching over those sledding, kind of like lifeguards at a swimming pool. Maybe I am just imagining things but they seemed extra concerned about my kids. I sent them down by themselves hoping they would crash and learn to not be so fearful of simple life experiences. By the end of the morning, I had accomplished this as the girls would in turn crash and learn to laugh about it. The Koreans gave me a lot of dirty looks.

Here is a little video from one of our first runs #notmybestmomentasafather - poor Zachary.


The kids did have fun. And the upside is that Zachary took a really great nap when we got home! And just for the record, he is fine today :)

Comments

PapaLarry said…
Fred,
You're a great Dad and I'm delighted that you are raising strong children with a love for new experiences and adventures. I hope Charlotte and Hazel remember much of their South Korean experience and will share those memories with their friends through the years.
Thanks so much. I think they will remember their time here and if not they have pictures to prove they were here.