Winter Jog

I've been training for a 50 Kilometer trail run to take place end of March. As I get closer and increase the miles the long runs have become difficult not just for the sake of the number of miles but how to get them in. I ran 15 miles a week ago on the indoor track at Osan Air Base with each mile requiring 10 laps according to my watch. It was mind-numbing running that many laps. So yesterday, as I extended the distance to 17 miles I was forced outside into the cold.

Here is a map of the run.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1543005440?share_unique_id=2



It is beautiful outside no doubt but my poor little hands just don't enjoy the struggle to stay warm! I don't have what is referred to as Raynaud's (vascular spasms on the digits where they turn white from low blood flow) but close to It - my hands clamp down and go numb nearly instantly. The rest of me stays toasty.


Jari's hands have the opposite problem in that they become quite warm. Charlotte inherited Jari's circulation and Hazel mine. All I can say is sorry to Hazel. 

Once the temp rose above 25 F and I had direct sunshine I did much better.

Overall it was a lovely day. Oh, the insulation I added to my water tubbing worked great! The water didn't freeze and plug the tube although it did freeze in the mouthpiece. I just had to suck on the mouthpiece for a minute or so till it thawed out. 

Next week I will aim for 19 miles on my long run. Let's hope I can keep it up till the trail race in March. Praying for warmer weather.

Comments