Major (Select)

Several weeks back, around the time Camille was born, I was notified that I had been selected to advance to the rank of Major. Before anyone gets too excited let me preface this with the fact that most everyone in my career field is selected. Still, it is a milestone in my career and with the change in rank will come more administrative responsibilities and leadership opportunities. 

Within the Medical Corps, it is tradition to throw a party when you 'pin on' your new rank in an effort to thank others for helping you reach this point in your career. Outside the Medical Corps, they also do this but also throw a "Select Party" in which all the folks newly selected to advance throw a party to celebrate the future advancement. This is new to me and when I was invited to join in (and of course help pay the bill) I couldn't help but laugh a little bit about the situation. It felt like knowing I was 3 semesters away (I don't 'Pin On' until May 2018) from graduation and throwing a future graduation party. Overall it juat seemed silly to me. Still, as it might be the only time I am invited to join in on the fun I accepted the invitation. 

My phone has been taking really poor quality photos as of late without any real explanation so I apologize. Regardless here are some photos of the evening.



The Selects traditionally wear ridiculously oversized rank to make themselves stand out. Here I am with a few of the Selects.


This is John Kim a fellow FP and also a flight doc (he is a really great person!) along with Cindy Shen my Flight Commander  (ER Doc).


MSgt Hughes (our Flight Chief) and Denise Edwards (one of our nurses).


We bought a bunch of food and the Colonel Selects hosted an open bar. We also got a cake and here I am as the youngest in the group cutting the cake with Mattie Goode my Squadron Commander.


It was really awkward and we laughed our way through the moment due to the awkwardness.



Again as the youngest, I got to cut and serve the cake. 


Of course, I took the slice with the Major rank on it. Overall it was a fun night. I slipped out quietly around 7 pm to catch a devotional where Elder Holland of the 12 Apostles was speaking here in Korea. It was a nice way to end the evening, away from the world and thinking about things that really matter. 

Comments