AFSA Run-A-Thon

Several weeks ago I received an email at work advertising a fundraising event called a Run-A-Thon. It was to benefit the local chapter of the Air Force Sergeant's Association. The goal was to find sponsors who would commit a quantity of money per mile or lap (0.6 miles) or a one-time donation. I was thrilled I could finally make use of my enjoyment of running. 

I set a lofty goal of 50 miles knowing it was more of a pipe dream than a goal. I have been fighting a gluteal vs obturator strain in my right posterior hip so I had my doubts I would be able to mount more than 10 miles but all I could do was try.


Folks came through and before the run, I already had near $200. 


While the air was muggy and smoggy I kept at it. Coworkers came out to support which was awesome and motivational. 

I logged 20.5 miles in the morning before my meetings and went out to walk in the afternoon. Walking really was all I could muster as I made one grievous running error and at lunch (rice and chicken with veggies) which stayed with me for about 3 hours. I have done long runs enough after eating to know what would happen... such a foolish rookie mistake to make from a racing perspective. But in the end, I was not conditioned to be able to do what I set out to do that day so it may have been a saving decision because as much as I pushed myself past fatigue, I would have done so even more without food to slow me down. 

At mile 8.5 in the afternoon, I sat down feeling angry, apathetic, and nauseated. My watch was reading 92-93 degrees. I realized I was not sweating anymore... I was suffering from mild heat exhaustion. If I kept going I would end up in the ER getting IV fluids and having a rectal probe placed for temperature monitoring which I did not want. A rectal probe was reason enough to throw in the towel- especially when it would be my coworkers placing it.

A friend and fellow church member who works in mental health saw me sitting down with the look of defeat on my face and came out to offer me an orange. While Dave Weller may never see this I am thankful for his kindness.

I got back up, finished my lap, and walked slowly home. 


Now that it is over I will see if people come through with their committed money which should amount to ~$600. Nicely done. Better than paying money to run I suppose. 

Comments

Karla Nielson said…
Congratulations on a great final run in Korea, most worthwhile. And thank you for your wisdom to know when enough is enough. Love you tons, Frederick