Grieving

11 July 2017:

The Tong-In moving company arrived this morning and started packing our house up. While I hoped for a gentle ramping down at work I was asked to step in as Flight Commander (Medical Director of sorts) in the Emergency Room. Each day has brought its problems and while I have only averaged about 70 hr work weeks it has been challenging to balance getting our family ready for the move and our trip.  

Anyone that knows Jari and I will know we love the Koreans and their country. So preparing to move has been a series of actions where I was just going through the motions and not processing it emotionally. 
Between the frantic cleaning and organizing last night and this morning nothing really changed about the way I was feeling - reluctant to leave but ignoring the fact we are doing just that at the same time. 

Then while clearing the fridge of artwork a few minutes ago I came across what feels like a priceless collection of drawings done by a girl born in America who thinks of herself as Korean. A wave of grief overwhelmed me and I started to cry much the same way I did when I left Venezuela after my mission.


I will miss this land more than words can describe. For now, I am left with the sound of boxes being closed with masking tape (nothing new to us during our military career) and the sound of Koreans chatting. I have no idea what they are saying. They are probably just talking shop and figuring out who is packing what, but for now, I will simply imagine they are saying things like 'we will miss you too.' 

Comments

Karla Nielson said…
This kind of breaks my heart to read. You and Jari and your beautiful family have been in our prayers that all will be well on moving to Germany. The Lord lives you, is guiding you and has great people and great experiences in store for you. Go forth in faith. Good things await! Love you all so much!
PapaLarry said…
This left me as emotional as if I were the one leaving 2 years of my life and many close friends behind and moving toward a new phase of life. It brought back many familiar feelings and memories of leaving Beckley, WV after 2 years of rebuilding what seemed like a shattered life at the time I moved there.
My heart and my prayers go out to you, your family, and to all your beloved friends who must also be grieving your departure. But that's the growth this life promised each of us when we made what must have been a similar departure not so long ago.
Ich wünsche Ihnen Gesundheit und Freude! Unsere Gedanken sind bei Euch.
May God continue to guide and bless you abundantly.