Wittlich Pig Festival

First-weekend trip: The Wittlich Pig Festival. 

I guess it would just make more sense to recount why there is a Pig Festival in Wittlich, Germany. The story goes that many many years ago, the city of Wittlich was surrounded by an invading force. The door to the main gate was closed but the key had been misplaced. (Side note [I know I just started and it is too early for a side note but never mind that], Germans still use old fashion keys in the doors between rooms in their houses. We have several rooms with keys sitting on the door frame and they look very old school: round metal with a funny design at the end. OK, back to the story...) The man charged with keeping the gate closed did the only thing he could think to do, jam the lock. Being resourceful he took a large carrot and rammed it in the lock making the handle inoperable and saved the town! Or at least that is what the city thought as they made their plans for bed and sacked out for the night. At some point during the night, a hungry pig came along looking for a  meal and what did he find but that same carrot keeping the enemy outside the gate. He ate the carrot, unlocked the door, and thus allowed the invading force into the town. The citizens of the town were not only conquered but upset with the pig. What did they do? They got even by slaughtering all the pigs in the town. Many years later (and more for business I am sure) they decided to celebrate this small piece of history by having a pig festival that lasts 3 days, involved lots of beer and music, and features - you guessed it, bratwurst in all its forms. 

Here are some pictures of our little venture through the festival.


Making our way to the festival





The festival is really a big market and there is a section with lots of rides akin to a country fair. 



We were joined by our friends from Osan who now work at Spangdahlem as well, Andrew and Danielle Shahan. Here is Jari, Camille, and the Shahans waiting for us while we went on a quick ride.



The Germans do know how to grill meat. This was a really neat setup where the hanging grill spins over a fire that is set off to one side to allow the meat to cook while giving it time away from the direct heat so as not to overcook the meat and allow them time to work on other things like slicing bread or cooking french fries. 


Andrew sporting the bacon-wrapped sausage. I ate one, too. So yummy. So not healthy.


We went early for the sole purpose of catching the parade. Here are the 2 honorary pigs which were stuffed with carrots in their mouths (of course)


Here is another picture of the pigs on the way to the grill with carrots in their mouths.


Lots of random bands and people - just like our parades for the 4th of July. Why do we have Harley Davidson groups or Jeep Clubs in our parades...? 


Zachary and the rest of the crew enjoyed some currywurst (sliced up bratwurst in a sweet curry sauce with french fries on the side 



I think I ended up eating more of it than anyone else... so full! 







Random selfie with two lovely ladies. 









After the parade, we proceeded to blow a lot of Euros on the rides. In the end, I think I spent about 50 Euro ($75) but the kids were happy. Worth it? I hope so...
Here we are a funhouse which was actually kind of fun. The Germans have things that are downright dangerous and would not be allowed in the use, I guess that is what makes them so fun. 


The stairs here slide up and down in opposite directions. This freaked Hazel out until I showed her she could just do one side. The smile on her face seemed to say, "Dad! I just learned to do the most amazing trick in the world! I am so amazing!" Yes, you are Hazel. 


After a few minutes, we realized Charlotte was nowhere to be found. I went back and she was "lost" in the mirrored hallway. That is right, it was a single hall with some gaps between the 2 lanes. She sure is a funny girl. 


Ok, so this does not look that hard right? It is just a spinning tube. Hazel is not the most athletic at this stage of life so I naturally let her go first. Don't judge - but watching kids struggle sometimes in silly ways is kind of a time-honored father's tradition. In the end, it was super funny. Check it out: 

YouTube Spinning Hazel Pig Fest 2017
OK never mind, Jari cannot find it right now either. If you want the link message me and I will share it with you. I will blame it on Germany for now.


Now that I was full of pork products, I decided to join Danielle on this spinning ride of death. 


Round and upside down while spinning. It was awesome. 


And I did not throw up - I am proud of myself. All I could think of was the scene from the movie The Sandlot where they all chew tobacco then go on the spinning ride and vomit all over the place. 





This ride!  I don't even know where to begin honestly. It is like any other boat ride that goes back and forth. The difference? There were no height requirements! As long as you give them 3 Euro per person they will let you on. Gratefully, Danielle came along with us. Zachary and I sat in the middle of the boat and the girls on the back where it would be the most exciting. The first little bit was fun for the girls but by the time it got to its max height hazel was basically free-floating every time. I looked back at her and her happiness had melted away to pure terror. Perhaps it was the worry but after a little while, I started to get a little motion sick...


As evident by this face that Jari captured.





Me looking back to check on the girls. In the meantime, Zachary went to sleep while on the ride! 



Waking up after the ride


The last stop was bumper cars that lasted about 60 seconds, again for 3 Euro. Lame.

Overall a fun trip. For the sake of my wallet, I think we will skip it next year and just buy a bunch of sausage and bread and jump on our trampoline at home. 

Comments

Diana said…
This is amazing! It sounds like a blast. I love these fun pieces of history that are so unique to where you are. Great memories.