Basilica of the Holy Blood and Dress Up

I thought this was the coolest part of the town. From right to left, you could see nearly 1000 years of history pass before you in the form of architecture. So amazing. 


In the corner is one of the older chapels in the town. It is known as the Basilica of the Holy Blood (more on that below). 


Next to is some governmental buildings from the Spanish Era (1500-1600s)


And I guess we missed the picture of the buildings from the Rococo period and beyond with some French influence. 


The Basilica was our destination and check it out! This is so Medieval! Gothic Style if I am not mistaken. Feel free to comment when I am wrong, mom (my mom is an interior designer with intense knowledge of the history of architecture and design) Mom: Yes, Fred, High Gothic!


I was impressed with the colors inside: deep maroons, greens, and gold.  It was smaller than the others but no less impressive. Mom: Right: Romanesques arches. Ceiling: decorated Gothic arch barrel vault with fan brackets.


Amazing stained glass though I am sure this is not original as colors from that time period would not have remained so bright and lovely over time. Mom: No, they really stay this bright. They are original.


And this is why we came. In this chapel, there is a glass tube that is said to contain the Blood of Christ captured from when he died. It is an object of worship so I will not speak my mind on the matter out of respect for those who come to worship it - but we paid our coinage and took a look. You cannot take a picture of it so here is Charlotte showing the card we got when we went to it which shows what it looks like. Think of a glass tube with what looks like a piece of old sausage inside and held with a nice golden decoration on the outside. 
Mom: This is a "relic" and makes this a Pilgrimage Church. Relics boost faith. I also respect this.


Before we went back to our hotel we took a quick break. This little one was happy as can be to not be held for a few minutes



We played dress up for a minute


Charlotte was too embarrassed to dress up. I think I do a good job as a dad at embarrassing my kids and wife. That is my job, right?
 Mom: You do it so well! Hazel was smitten!

Comments

Karla Nielson said…
Love it! Mid-Evil, Fred? Medieval, perhaps?

Gorgeous. So glad you got to see it, and the photo of Princess (Queen?) Hazel is precious!!

What great parents! What lucky children!