Pumpkin Carving

Each year the greater Nielson family has a pumpkin carving contest. I am not sure why but we have never really participated. We carved Jack-Jack from the Incredibles back in 2014 to announce Zach was coming to our family in a few months but since then we have not bothered to carve pumpkins. 

This year there were pumpkins at Costco, Fred Meyer, and the commissary so I am not sure I had an excuse. Plus, Charlotte needed to carve one for school. 

The theme for this year's contest was "Animals" so we being rather uninventive creatures took to the internet where I combined a design and then copied another.  



My carving was the Alaskan Bear. I added the peaks and hoped to carve the word Alaska into the bottom but Charlotte got stuck with her cat so I had to shift gears to meet the deadline.




I think it turned out pretty good if you ask me! I may or may not have voted for myself...


Here is Charlotte's cat. She carved through the leg when doing the first lines but other than that I think she did a pretty good job. She gave up and I took over from there.


Carving too deep was not a good idea as it killed the lighting ratio of what was coming through.


The cat got no votes :( (but not surprised) so it quickly became the first to be chopped up and baked down. I ended up with 4 Quarts of puree from just the 1 pumpkin! Not sure what to do with it other than freeze it down. I may make some pumpkin muffins this morning. 

 

The rest of the carved surface will be used as well. Curry? Or use these rather than chicken in some fried poppers? More to come. 



Comments