The Denali 100K

18 months prior to Dad and Paxton visiting us, I learned of a road race that was unique in that it required one to have their own support crew. This is different from most running races where the director will set up several aid stations stocked with water and snacks along the way you can use to refuel and rest. In the case of The Denali 100K, your crew has to follow you through the entire race to provide you this support. The race usually takes place around the summer solstice and in 2021 we had other plans so I simply saved sign up date on my google calendar for the 2022 event. 

 

In December of 2021 dad and I started talking about coming up in June for him to drive the truck for me and be my support crew. This is a sacrifice for dad because summer time is the time most valuable to him because he often has field work he needs to be doing. Amazingly, he said yes when I invited him to join me in Alaska. Later on, Necia had the idea to have Paxton come up to explore Alaska as a Senior graduation trip. 


So once again we hit the road after a short rest following our fishing trip and drove the other primary road in Alaska passing the Denali Center and then on through Cantwell to the old Denali road that spans 140-160 miles from Cantwell to Paxson, AK. 


The weather report suggested rain and cool weather for the first 4 hours of the race but as we arrived we were met with clear air and views spanning 100's of miles.


To date, I think that this section of road has some of the most beautiful sites in Alaska that I have witnessed. The other section that rivals it though in different ways is the final 15-20 miles of road heading. 


The Denali 100K is one of 2 races and is actually the shorter of the 2. The other race started in Paxson and ran all the way to Cantwell. The Alpine Creek Lodge is the half way point for the longer race but the starting point for the 100K



In true Alaskan spirit, the race started with the National Anthem and then a shotgun firing. 



From there is was amazing views with amazing weather. 



Dad and Paxton would skip ahead and wait for me. I decided to run with a single 500 ml soft flask and they would position themselves about every 3 miles which worked out perfect for refills. 



The best part of running races like this is that they last so long that you cannot help but make new acquaintances such as this 63 year old high school teacher from Anchorage, AK or the 21 yo Mechanical Engineering student who is studying in Colorado. 


A nice reminder that while the weather was amazing at this time, the weather is not always so hospitable.

 



 

For those who have never participated in a race like this - you don't run the entire time. You walk, jog, run, sit, snack, sip, laugh, cry, sigh. Preparation for this experience takes more than just running a lot but training your gut as well. You try gu's/race gels, sandwiches, chocolate milk, jelly beans, bananas, etc. Then you find something that sits well enough to get you through the race and just go with it. The greatest mistake one can make is to try something new on the day of the race as you never know how you will respond - like cheder cheese chips...





I have found that I can stay in good spirits and energy through 18 miles. Anything after that is an adventure into the unknown and depends on the day, weather, terrain, how well I have slept, my mental health, spiritual health etc. 


This point was around the 18-20 minutes sweet spot. The bridge was itself both a point of beauty and a contrast to the natural beauty of the wild that surrounded us. As a side note, Dad and Paxton were waiting on the other side for me and had made some new friends in an RV who were visiting from Israel. You never know who you will meet a long the trail.  


A view from the bridge


Looking 30 miles towards our destination


The goal of these selfies is not vanity but to remember that I was there and in this case to remember who was there supporting me (Dad and Paxton in the background)


Remember this view? 


Mile 24-45 was really hard both physically and mentally. I practiced gratitude and sang hymns to myself to help keep my perspective where it needed to be. Otherwise, it is so easy to focus on the pain, the fatigue, and question why I am out there and why I am not at home with family eating pizza and watching a movie. 


Mile 50-62 I spent mostly all alone. The light was low but there. The wind was blowing keeping the mosquitoes off but dropping the temperature to state where you want to put on another layer but know if you do and try to run you will be too hot. 


My school teacher from Anchorage was an amazing power hiker and I could not keep up with his stride so I found myself jogging and then walking. 


Then at 1 am and with < 10 miles to go, I decided that not only would I finish before him, but I would finish before the Army and Navy guys that were there ;)







Waiting at the finish line was Dad, tired but smiling. I was so happy to be done and yet so sad it was over. After 18 months, the race I had been dreaming about was done. While most would simply go sleep I could not do so. I had to poor a cup of hot chocolate and just wonder the finishing area and marvel at the experience and the journey. It is hard to describe what it feels like to travel that far on foot in a short time. The excitement, the joy, the wonder ... and the pain, the fatigue, the lows. In a way it is like living a life all in one moment: preparation and execution with triumphant moments and failures. While we try to rely on ourselves it is just not possible. We need others to motivate and nourish us along the path. We need to encourage or fellow races. We need to pace others while being paced by them. 

After participating in a run like this I always declare that I am done with running! But then my body slowly heels and my imagination runs as I watch others post videos of epic runs. I find that if I can keep moving, my mind will keep moving and I will keep dreaming. But as soon as I stop running, my imagination slows at the same time paralleling the training. 

I will try to keep moving.   

Final Statistics: 

62.62 Miles
3409 Feet Total Ascent 
Time: 13:06:31 
Pace: 12:34 minutes per mile
Estimated Calories burned by Garmin: 5383 

Comments